Lyson, based out of Poland, is renowned for their quality and it's no different with this assembled beginner kit. Made of polystyrene, your bees will be better insulated than if in a wooden hive, helping them survive winter, and stay cool in the summer.
Need help in your decision? Read about the differences in options and other hive kits: Beekeeping kit options.
A Few Things to Note About This Kit:
This is a 10 frame hive kit (industry standard). What that means is that the hive body (box where bees live), is able to hold 10 frames (rectangular structure that contains foundation which bees build comb on).
When choosing plastic frames or plastic foundation, we highly recommend applying extra beeswax to the frames. This increases the acceptance of the frames by the bees and entices them to draw the frames out faster. Assembled frames with extra wax are available for purchase or you can apply the wax yourself (Instructions for Applying Additional Wax).
Frames, and the hive body, come unassembled. Rather have your hive kit assembled at Betterbee? Shop our assembled Lyson beginner kit
Includes the following:
- Outer Cover with 8 polystyrene plugs and 8 plastic venting plugs
- Choice of inner cover
- Lyson Polystyrene Feeder
- Two Unassembled Medium Supers with Latches
- 20 Assembled Medium Frames and Foundation*
- Two Unassembled Deep Hive Bodies with Latches
- 20 Assembled Deep Frames and Foundation*
- Bottom board with removable tray for varroa testing and ventilation
- Queen Excluder*
- Hive Tool
- Stainless Steel Smoker with Heat Shield
- Beginning Beekeeping Book*
- Leather Gloves*
- Veil and Helmet*
*Denotes a kit component with options.
Become a better beekeeper. Take one of our classes: Beekeeping Classes
Shop all our beginner kits