This item is for our first package load of the year.
Packages of bees are a great option for your first colony or for replacing a lost colony. Each of our Italian packages contains 3 pounds of bees in a screened cage with a laying queen in a separate cage. Included is a can of syrup that feeds the bees during transport and before you install them in your hive setup.
Our packages come from Wilbanks Apiaries in Claxton, Georgia, a well-known and respected supplier whom we are proud to say we've worked with for over a decade. The bees are transported directly by truck, arriving at Betterbee soon after packaging. We do not ship packages as we care that you get the most living bees possible. Packages are available for pick-up only at Betterbee in Greenwich, NY.
Why get package bees?
Package bees are an economical and effective means of starting a beehive. We recommend them for first-year beekeeping because they give you time to recognize and get used to all the stages as the new colony grows.
Instructions for online ordering:
- Ordering: Please order your bees on a stand-alone order, without any other merchandise. During checkout, select "Pickup at Betterbee" and the "Bee Day" option on the Address page. On the final checkout page, select "Pick up on Bee Package Pickup Day" as the "shipping" method. Full payment is due when your order is placed. We usually sell out of both nucs and packages, typically by the end of February. Order early!
- Additional Orders: All package and nuc orders are invoiced separately from equipment orders. Need additional equipment when you pick up your bees? Place a second order and select the same pickup options as explained above, which will tell us to have your merchandise ready that day. Placing an equipment order a week or so before your pick up date ensures it's ready for you when you get here!
- Preparation: Build and paint your hives before getting your bees, as you will need to install them in their new home the day you get them. Don't wait! Plan to pick up early in the day, and make sure we have your current contact info in case we need to get in touch!
Instructions for pickup:
- Preliminary pickup date is expected to be mid-April 2024. We will contact you via email when we know the delivery date.
- Click here for installation instructions: How to Install a Package. Video demonstration is here.
- Please make sure your contact information is correct upon check out so we can notify you via email when we know the pickup day. Please whitelist "firstname.lastname@example.org" to ensure you will receive our emails.
Please note: We do not ship packaged bees. Picking up packages at a central location ensures a greater survival rate of the honey bees in packages, as it creates less stress for the bees.
Terms and conditions
- The customer understands and acknowledges that bees and nucs are living creatures and are perishable. Betterbee will not be responsible or liable for loss of bees or nucs due to overheating once they are received by the customer. It is the responsibility and duty of the customer to ensure that packages and nucs are kept cool and out of direct sun until they are installed in hives.
- Bee orders canceled before March 31st will be refunded the purchase price minus a $20 fee per package or nuc. If canceling after March 31st, no refund will be made UNLESS we can resell the package or nuc.
- Returns & Refunds: There are no returns or refunds once the customer accepts the bee package or nuc at our store in New York.