The perfect kit for catching swarms or making splits! Comes with all the components needed to quickly start a new colony.
Made of lightweight polystyrene with an impressive R-value of 6.5, honey bee colonies have a better chance at overwintering in extreme northern temperatures, and staying cool in the hot summer months.
The Essentials Kit Includes:
- One BeeMax outer cover
- One wooden inner cover for BeeMax
- Two assembled BeeMax deep hive bodies with plastic frame rests
- BeeMax bottom board
- Mouse guard for BeeMax hives
- Your choice of 20 deep frames (all plastic frames or assembled wooden frames with foundation)
- An optional varroa monitoring screen (varroa screen requires assembly, wooden shim screws included but tack/staples for plastic supports are not included)
BeeMax hive bodies should be painted with exterior latex paint to help protect the polystyrene from the sun's UV rays and extend the life of the hive
- We also sell this kit unassembled: Shop Unassembled BeeMax Essentials Kit
What is the difference between plastic foundation with wax versus heavy wax?
All plastic frames come waxed, but heavy wax has an extra layer that bees accept better, speeding up the process of drawing comb.
Plastic Foundation: Black vs White
Black foundation is great for brood, the high contrast against eggs allows easier identification
White foundation is great for supers, the light nature of the plastic displays true color of honey
Shop all BeeMax hive kits