Packages consist of 3 pounds of bees in a screened cage, with a laying queen in a separate cage. Also included is a can of syrup to provide food for the bees during transport. The packages come from Wilbanks Apiaries in Claxton, Georgia. They are transported directly by truck, arriving at Betterbee soon after packaging. Package bees are an economical and effective means of starting a beehive. Tentative pickup dates are around late April to early May, always on a Saturday, but are subject to change due to inconsistencies in spring weather. We will contact you via email when we know the delivery date.
Please make sure your contact information is correct upon checkout so we can notify you via email when we know the pickup day.
Web order instructions: Please order your bees on a stand-alone order, without any other merchandise. This helps us keep the bee orders organized. During checkout, select "Pickup at Betterbee" and the "Bee Day" option on the Address page. On the final checkout page, select "Pick up on Bee Package Pickup Day" as the "shipping" method. If you would also like to order some supplies for pickup on bee pickup day, place a second order and select the same pickup options, which will tell us to have your merchandise ready that day.
1. Ordering: All package and nuc orders are invoiced separately from equipment orders. We usually sell out of both nucs and packages, typically by the end of February. Order early!
2. Payment: Full payment is due when your order is placed. Cancellations: Packaged bee orders cancelled before March 31st will be refunded the purchase price minus a $20 fee per package. If cancelling after March 31st, then no refund will be made UNLESS we can resell the package.
3. Returns & Refunds: There are no returns or refunds once the customer accepts the bee package or nuc at our store in New York.
4. Additional Orders: Need additional equipment when you pick up your bees? Placing an order a week or so prior to your pick up date ensures it's ready for you when you get here!
5. Preparation: Build and paint your hives ahead of getting your bees, as you will need to install the bees in their new home the day you get them. Don't wait!
6. More Preparation: Plan to pick up early in the day, and make sure we have your current contact info in case we need to get in touch!
We do not ship packaged bees. Picking up packages at a central location ensures a greater survival rate of the honeybees in packages, as it creates less stress to the bees.
Beekeeping is a form of agriculture and is subject to the whims of Mother Nature. Betterbee will do its best to deliver the bees on time; however, unfavorable weather may prevent us from doing so. Should there be a change in delivery dates, we will contact you.