5 Frame APRIL Nucleus Colony
Nucleus hives, or nucs, are small 5 frame colonies made by dividing existing colonies in the early spring. Each nuc is given a queen and the colonies are allowed to establish themselves. When you receive your nuc it will consist of a frame of honey, 3 frames of brood with some honey and pollen, and one frame of foundation being drawn out as an area for the colony to expand into. Because there is brood hatching and young bees being born, nucs build up more quickly than packages and need to be transferred to full size colonies immediately. They will usually be ready for a second brood box within a few weeks of installation. Nucs should be fed until all frames in the first and second brood chamber are drawn out. Please note that if drawn frames are used instead of foundation they will be filled very quickly. The colony will need a super sooner if drawn comb is used.
At pickup we close the entrance of the nuc and brush off remaining bees, but some customers want extra assurance no bees will escape. A ventilated nuc bag will prevent any “stragglers” from escaping during transport.
Tentative pickup dates are around late April, always on a Saturday, but are subject to change due to inconsistencies in spring weather. We will contact you via email when we know the pickup date.
Please make sure your contact information is correct upon check out so we can notify you via email when we know the pickup day.
Web order instructions:
Please order your bees on a stand-alone order, without any other merchandise. This helps us keep the bee orders organized. During checkout, select "Pickup at Betterbee" and the "Nuc Day" option on the Address page. On the final checkout page, select "Pick up on Nuc Pickup Day" as the "shipping" method. If you would also like to order some supplies for pickup on bee pickup day, place a second order and select the same pickup options, which will tell us to have your merchandise ready that day.
1. Ordering: All package and nuc orders are invoiced separately from equipment orders. We usually sell out of both nucs and packages, typically by the end of February. Order early!
2. Payment: Full Payment is due when your order is placed. Cancellations: Bee orders cancelled before March 31st will be refunded the purchase price minus a $20 fee per package or nuc. If canceling after March 31st, then no refund will be made UNLESS we can resell the package or nuc.
3. Returns & Refunds: There are no returns or refunds once the customer accepts the bee package or nuc at our store in New York.
4. Additional Orders: Need additional equipment when you pick up your bees? Placing an order a week or so prior to your pick up date ensures it's ready for you when you get here!
5. Preparation: Build and paint your hives ahead of getting your bees, as you will need to install the bees in their new home the day you get them. Don’t wait!
6. More Preparation: Plan to pick up early in the day, and make sure we have your current contact info in case we need to get in touch!
We are unable to ship nucs.